12/11/2012

#SinTax today. #RHBill tomorrow.


The historic Sin Tax Bill that seeks to impose higher taxes on tobacco and alcohol products is finally on its way to becoming a law, after it a got full approval from both the Upper and Lower Houses today. This is great news.

For the longest time (well, I mean, after I first traveled abroad that is, in Bangkok, way back in 2004), I've been griping about how cheap our tobacco and alcohol products are compared to our neighboring countries. And when I started to ask, that's when I learned about sin taxes.  And we should totally do that in the Philippines. I told myself. And anyone who was interested. That and stricter labeling in cigarette packages.

I drink and smoke occasionally (very occasionally, socially is the term) myself, but I don't mind the jacked up prices. It keeps kids away. And I personally think that people waste too much money drinking and smoking. Especially those who are not particularly well off. Not judging, just saying.

So anyway, done with that. After that Sin Tax amendment scare. Phew! There's some consternation on some of its provisions, especially that it deals with money, and I mean, loads of money, but we just gotta keep an eye more.

So, tomorrow is the more pressing day. 12/12/12. Big deal. Yes, it's a big deal. Finally, the RH Bill will come to a vote. Oh yes, it will. Never mind the delayers. You're all goin down. 

The Reproductive Health Bill will be approved by both Houses tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment